Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Review of today's interview

Today I interviewed at a small social service organization for a "wraparound facilitator", a term I hand heard of until earlier this week and initially thought it referred to a new special at Quiznos.

Three women conducted the interview, the lead, a small African American woman who had in every appearance burned out on the job already, and another woman who appeared to be transgender (which made me think of a Rule of Life I had recently read: "under no circumstances whatever should you ask a woman if she's pregnant." You should also never ask a woman if she's transgender either cause ultimately, so what?)

I appreciated the thoroughness of their questions and the time devoted to the interview. At first it started like another 6 question meet and great and in 15 minutes I'd be out the door like a cheap whore. But they actually went deeper, asked interesting things about different scenarios and situations and listened intently (well, Lead did. They other two seemed a little spaced out. They're in the social service field, so I understand their spaceyness). The interview last nearly an hour. The worst part, though, when I asked the timeline for hiring.
"3 weeks", said Lead.
Ugh.

I can't wait three weeks. I told myself earlier: I have 5 interviews in the next 3 days, and if I don't land one of them I'm pulling the nuclear option, whatever that is, something about foreclosing on my house and moving back home to live with my mom.
Ugh.

Ps- I'm usually flawless in my delivery and behavior. Well, maybe not "flawless", but damn close. I'm sure to do everything you're supposed to -show up early, suit and tie, be engaging and excited about the job, ask good questions, etc etc- and nothing you're not supposed to do (pick my nose, show up drunk, hit on the interviewers). This time though, as I leave the three interviewers in the conference room and shut the door behind me, there in the lobby sits a bowl of condoms. I think, "well, if I don't get a job soon I'm going to have to start pimping my ass out at truck stops" so I grab a couple. After all, I can't pay my mortgage and don't think condoms are covered by food stamps. Think they saw me? Think this ruined my chances with the job?

No comments:

Post a Comment