Wednesday, May 22, 2013

How to get feedback?


I have a situation I'd like your help with.

Yesterday I got word that I didn't get one of the jobs I'd interview for recently (3 down, 2 to go).  Here's the email:

Thank you for your email.  We will be doing the second panel of interviews this week.  … I am sorry to say we are moving forward with other candidates at this time.  Thank you very much for your time and interest in the positions.  We wish you the best in your job search.  Please consider us again for future opportunities.

I'm very used to getting these rejections, but is it just me, or is it just wrong to include that second sentence, especially BEFORE telling me that they're "moving forward with other candidates..."

Mind you, this is the HR person who rubbed me pretty wrong by insisting to use a speaker phone in the initial screening interview, so I don't have a high opinion of her already.

So, question 1: is it worth me giving her unsolicited professional feedback?

Before I decide to do that, though, I'd thought I'd seek out feedback about the IV. I wanted to talk to Anne the ED; I told HR that, and she replied:

Anne has a very busy schedule.  If you have particular questions please send them to me and we will respond via email.

I thought I could just skip her and so I called the office today asking to speak to the ED. The receptionist said, "Anne is out of town. the HR person can answer any of your questions about the hiring process".

So, I'm a little frustrated. I'd like feedback, both general and specific, ideally a brief casual conversation about my performance. For the level of position, candidates deserve feedback.

So, what's a polite yet accurate questions that would yield direct, constructive feedback?

No comments:

Post a Comment