Monday, January 2, 2017

Overview and all that jazz



Is it possible to write this anonymously?

Attaching my name has all sorts of ramifications.
For starters, I'm usually an up-beat kinda guy, but I know writing about my job hunt will make me seem like a cynical, negative curmudgeon.

I'm also not looking for pity, just to vent.

And I realize that I'm not the only unemployed guy in the country. I'm not speaking for everyone who's unemployed, but just illustrate one person's experience trying to find a job.

7.9% of 155.6 million labor force means I'm not the only one out there.

Having said that, here's an overview of the situation. I'll try leaving out identifying details:

I graduated with a Master's degree in the social sciences from a large, prestigious state college in June of 2011.

I graduate with a Bachelor's degree in a different social science from a small and not-so-prestigious state college in 1996.

In between the two degrees, I worked mostly in public education, most of it in typical inner-city schools, often with "severely abused and disturbed youth".

I also "volunteered" extensively, so extensively that I was told by a recruiter not to call it "volunteering" ("that's picking up trash at the beach for an afternoon") but "unpaid employment".

I speak several languages, but only two of them at a professional level.

I'm a published investigative journalist.

My work in response to the 9/11 tragedies won a Human Rights Award.

I once ran for public office as an exercise in professional development. I recruited over one hundred volunteers, including a stellar campaign committee.
I somehow convinced over 300 people to donate to my campaign, yielding over $25,000 in contributions.
I knocked on over 15,000 doors, or an average four hours a day, five days week for three months.
I lost ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment